Formal sorority recruitment provides freshmen girls with the opportunity to find the house that fits them best. Girls visit every sorority and their choices narrow down as the week goes on through a combination of their selections and those of the sorority sisters. This guide will help maximize your preparation for the week ahead.
- Choosing the right shoes is an important decision. Traditional reindeer skin or sealskin mukluks will protect your feet from the harsh Ithaca winter.
- Make sure to avoid talking about the 3 B’s: Bridges, Bosnia, and Hepatitis B.
- Be yourself. Unless that person is a soulless, unfeeling shrew incapable of establishing meaningful human connections. Then be a combination of Joan of Arc and Meryl Streep.
- Offer them Pop Rocks. Everyone loves Pop Rocks!
- Through a series of disguises, attend recruitment events as a different person each day. Surely one of these personas will be what your house of choice is looking for. Accept this identity. This is who you are now.
- Want to document your rush experience? Try a GoPro.
- Impress sisters by going above the dress code. Your outfits for the five days of rush should be: black tie, wedding dress, pajamas, crazy hat day, and two wedding dresses worn one on top of the other.
- Don’t pick your nose and eat it. That’s gross.
- Establish a rapport with sisters by affectionately referring to them as “bitches,” “sluts,” and “I hate you.”
- Groucho Marx impressions are a sure crowd pleaser.
- Over the course of the week, every sorority will perform a short skit. Most choose to do a scene from Shakespeare’s The Tempest.
- Make sure to wear your craziest hat on crazy hat day.